College House is the oldest university college in New Zealand, tracing back to the earliest days of European settlement in Canterbury.
In May 1850 the Canterbury Association resolved to establish a grammar school for boys—Christ’s College—and a collegiate for young men. In 1873, the collegiate became a residential college for the new University of Canterbury and in 1882 it moved to a site at the corner of Rolleston Avenue and Cashel Street. This new house became known as ‘College House’.
In 1957 College House became fully independent of Christ’s College and when the University of Canterbury moved from the centre of Christchurch to the more spacious Ilam site, CH followed. Warren and Mahoney designed the white concrete block buildings and the students took up residence in in 1966.
In 1990 the college admitted its first women students, and appointed its first principal who was not a clergyman. In 2007 the College appointed its first woman principal, Laraine Sharr.
Over the years the College has made some additions to the original Warren and Mahoney design with two new houses, Hardie and Beadel, and the Allan Pyatt Study Centre and Common Room; all designed by Wilkie + Bruce.
In 2015, College House was home to 159 students (from 73 different schools) enrolled across all UC faculties.